If you have more than one type of waste, it is helpful if you can tell the scale clerk what portion of your load is in each category. (example: 50% construction waste)

Updated: November 2017

Acceptable Waste

Waste must be sorted into the following categories:

  • Garbage (Municipal Solid Waste or MSW): Any putrescible (anything that rots) solid or semi-solid animal and/or vegetable waste material resulting from the transport (packaging material), preparation, cooking, serving and consumption of food. NO metal (other than food packaging) can be mixed in! Empty containers of household cleaners, vacuum cleaner bags and similar household waste may be disposed of.
  • Construction and Demolition Waste (C&D): Inert construction/demolition wastes. Some examples are sheet rock, wood (sized, painted or finished wood products), shingles, insulation, PVC pipe, plastic sheeting, inner tubes, EMPTY propane and fuel tanks, carpet, furniture, mattresses, draperies, etc. Demolition material must be broken down as wall sections and roof sections will be turned away.  No liquid waste!
  • Clean Fill: Items such as rock, hardened asphalt, cinder blocks, clean (non-contaminated) dirt, concrete, old bricks, et cetera. If you have fence posts embedded in concrete, the post must be cut off flush to the concrete and put in the appropriate pile. Absolutely no brush.
  • Dead Animal Waste (Kemmerer and Thayne only): Dead animals or waste from meat processing.
  • Refrigerators, Freezers/other refrigerant containing appliances: Designated spot for refrigerant removal. Units must be completely empty of contents!
  • Metal: Stoves, et cetera—Appliances must be empty. NO propane or fuel tanks. Fuel tanks, tires and tracks must be removed from lawn mowers, motorcycles, snow machines, et cetera before disposal.
  • Non-Friable Asbestos:  This may require lab testing.  Only non-friable asbestos, which is asbestos where the fibers are trapped in the material (generally a cement or asphalt product) which does not crumble, can be accepted.  Since the material has to be covered with 6" of dirt immediately, it can only be accepted at Kemmerer.  Cokeville may accept small amounts brought by residents from remodel projects. 
  • E-waste: Computers, laptops, TVs
  • Fencing Wire and Metal Banding: separate from the metal pile. Metal fence posts do go in the metal pile and plastic banding goes in C&D
  • Used Motor Oil: Household quantities (less than 5 gallons). Cannot contain any antifreeze or cooking oil, deposit in marked container
  • Used Antifreeze: Household quantities (less than 5 gallons). Deposit in marked container.
  • Cooking Oil: Household quantities (less than 5 gallons) deposited in properly marked container.
  • Latex Paint: Household quantities (if still liquid, solidified paint can be disposed of in regular trash) deposited in properly marked container. NO oil based paints or stains!
  • Sharps:  Insulin, animal vaccine and other medical use needles may be placed in a hard, preferably clear, plastic container.  Ask the scale clerk for instruction on where to dispose of the container.  PLEASE do not place in your trash can!  DO NOT use milk jugs as the plastic is too soft and the needles poke through the container. 
  • Petroleum Contaminated Soil: (Kemmerer Landfill Only) with lab test results showing only motor vehicle fuels or motor oil that does not exceed 40,000 parts per million.
  • Vegetative Material in Natural State: tree limbs, brush, grass (no bags), etc. Tree limbs must be less than 8” in diameter. Any brush or limbs that cannot be bent easily by hand should be cut into 3’ lengths. Cannot contain any dirt, rocks or concrete.

Unacceptable Waste

  • Medical Waste - Star Valley Medical Center and South Lincoln Medical Center can accept this kind of waste. Contact them for details.
  • Liquids
  • Hazardous Wastes

Other Rules