Our Motor Vehicle Department has the ability to service your needs in multiple ways. A quick summary of policies and procedures will help you better understand the process of registering a newly purchased vehicle.

State statutes require that SALES TAX be paid WITHIN 60 days from the date of purchase to avoid penalties and interest. Even if you have no intentions of REGISTERING your vehicle, SALES TAX must be paid within this amount of time. Another important factor that confuses people is that you DO NOT have to have a title in your name before you can pay your sales tax! You must have a title to REGISTER your vehicle though. The County Clerk's office issues titles. Contacting them (Jamie Painter, 307-877-9056 ext 2027) for guidelines of titling your vehicle is wise as to avoid confusion and the chance of running into time constraints.

Expiration tabs that are issued to you on your plates are based on the purchase month of your vehicle. If you are a move in from a different state, your tabs will follow the month that you transfer in. Registrations will NOT be issued without providing proof of liability insurance. It is WYOMING law!

Please take advantage of the License Plate Cost Estimator that is available for figuring sales tax and registration fees. It is not a guarantee, but it should give a pretty well rounded idea to help you figure out the financial obligation of your new purchase. The sales tax portion will be close because WYOMING taxes on different items. For a more accurate amount feel free to telephone any of our Motor Vehicle Specialists (see above) to help determine the figures that you will be charged on.

We do have specialty forms that are available for different plates. One that is available online is the Prestige Plate Form. We also have a generic Bill of Sale form that you can freely use. All other forms require different entities to receive copies, which makes it difficult to place online. Feel free to contact us for further information on these forms.

Out of State Workers
A non-resident temporarily working in the state is required by Wyoming law to obtain license plates or a temporary permit.

This temporary permit is $50 for 30 days; a customer may pay up to 120 days at a time. In order to qualify, insurance/a current registration  from another state must be provided.  

Exemption: Wyoming has reciprocity agreements with the states of Idaho, Illinois, Nebraska, and New Mexico. Residents of these states are not required to register their vehicle in Wyoming unless they become a resident of the state (remaining for 120 days or more), at which point they must purchase Wyoming license plates.

These are just a few pointers to help you better understand how we can help you. Please do not hesitate to contact our office anytime with any questions that you may have. In the future we hope to have access to more features for the simplicity of online users.

Online RegistrationRenew Vehicle Registration Online